Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Tragic loss: SP wrestler Conrad Hathcoat drowns in Gult
09-09-2011, 12:53 AM
Sad Tragic loss: SP wrestler Conrad Hathcoat drowns in Gult
What a nice kid he was. I am truly sorry for his loved ones.

http://www.shelbycountyreporter.com/2011...o/#respond

Monday, September 5, 2011
Spain Park wrestler drowns in Gulf of Mexico

Recovery efforts continue to locate body
By WESLEY HALLMAN / Sports Editor

Spain Park High School junior Conrad Hathcoat drowned Sunday, Sept. 4 after being swept away by a rip tide in the Gulf of Mexico, said Spain Park wrestling statistician Jim Pressler.

Hathcoat was entering his third season as a member of the Spain Park varsity wrestling squad.

HathcoatThe Baldwin County Sheriff’s Office continues to search for the 16-year-old’s body, according to Maj. Anthony Lowery in a Sept. 5 press release. The office has contacted several agencies in this case to aid the search effort, the release read. The search, which has been hampered by the remnants of Tropical Storm Lee, will continue as weather permits.

Hathcoat, who finished third in an Alabama High School Athletic Association Class 6A section meet last season and participated in the state tournament, was visiting the Gulf Coast with his parents, Charles and Connie Hathcoat, and family members along with two friends during the Labor Day weekend. Hathcoat and his family were staying in The Beach Club resort in Fort Morgan.

Fellow Spain Park student Jack Bush, a 16-year-old, was pulled from the rip currents and transported from the scene to South Baldwin Regional Medical Center, where he was treated and released to his father.

Hathcoat wrestled in the 135-pound weight division during the 2010-2011 season.
Like Post reply
09-09-2011, 02:23 AM
RE: Tragic loss: SP wrestler Conrad Hathcoat drowns in Gult
"Eye witness account"

On Sunday evening about 6:30 pm, September 04, 2011, at the Beach Club Resort in Gulf Shores, Alabama, I witnessed a drowning from my balcony and it was really upsetting to me. It was a senseless tragedy. A mother and two sixteen year old boys (one of them her son) had apparently been pulled out into deeper water by a rip current. I didn’t see them go in so I don’t know if they all went in together or whether the boys went in first then the mother followed. Either way, they were about 50 – 75 yards from the beach in deep water between the waves breaking over the sandbar and the waves breaking onto the beach at about 25 yards out. The water was extremely rough with about 7 to 10 feet waves. Storm warnings and rip current warnings had been issued. Several different people (including the father of the drowned boy) tried to go out on a surf board to help, but could not get past the first set of breaking waves about 25 yards out. It all happened in about 15 to 20 minutes. One of the boys (not the mother’s son) was swimming mostly by himself the whole time and was able to meet up with the mother and her son briefly and then was able to swim to shore by himself. The mother and son were holding on to each other and just floating parallel along the beach about 50 - 75 yards out. They must have been exhausted because they were just floating with the waves and it appeared not trying to swim in. The mother and son separated briefly by about ten feet and just at that time a huge wave crashed over them. The boy went under and never resurfaced. They were about 50 yards from the shore at this time. About that same time, several lifeguards showed up and assisted with the rescue. One lifeguard greeted the other boy as he came ashore in waist deep water and he was transported to the nearest hospital where they called his parents who were from Birmingham, Alabama. The lifeguard preceded to swim out to the mother and he rescued her. The other lifeguards went out into the deep water to look for the missing boy, but he was not found. The Coast Guard helicopter arrived about 5 to 10 minutes after the child had gone under, but they didn’t find any remains and suspended the search at 7:30 pm to return for fuel then came back about 9:30 pm to continue the search but as of this posting no remains have been found.
Like Post reply
09-12-2011, 10:58 AM
RE: Tragic loss: SP wrestler Conrad Hathcoat drowns in Gult
Read about this earlier and it still makes me sick. No way I can even imagine the horror of this event. Prayers to family and friends...
Like Post reply